These kids have no material goods and limited opportunities, yet still embrace the joy of life. Our intrepid explorers felt a strong need to give something back.
Back home in Perth, they joined forces with Sunrise Children’s Association Incorporated (SCAI). The result was Kathmandu Kids and a series of successful fundraising events. Every cent raised has gone towards improving the lives of children in Nepal. So far over $406,000 has been raised.
Initially our focus was the Kalimati slum area of Kathmandu. In recent years, the programme has expanded out to also provide education for children in the Jhapa and Nuwakot areas as well.
How your money has helped
Over the past years, the money raised has gone towards:
- School fees for hundreds of school children!!!!
- Transport to and from school
- Uniforms, shoes, bags, books and stationery for the students
- Development, rebuilding and operation of a pre-primary classroom to introduce kids and their parents to the benefits of education
- Tracksuits to protect children from the winter cold
- Assisting a slum family rebuild their ‘home’ that was burnt to the ground
- Breast cancer treatment for a young mother of two
- Establishment of a training centre to teach the parents candle making, sewing and English. Over 50 women graduated from the sewing class and most are now employed using these skills.
- Buying of a fleet of bicycles in the Jhapa region to diminish the 90 minute walk (each way) for some of the kids. This also reduces the risk to the kids from animals and human predators.
- Establishing a goat breeding programme in Jhapa to help the families become self-sufficent.
- Providing community and family support
About Sunrise Children’s Association
The Charity we have chosen to support is Australian based and accredited both here and in Nepal. They have many programmes to assist Nepalese children. It is headed by Emma Taylor who was awarded an Order of Australia Medal (OAM) for her contributions to the children of Nepal.
Kathmandu Kids, on behalf of SCIA, has raised over $386,000 for the education of children in Nepal. This money was initally used in the Kalimati area of Kathmandu, then expanded to Jhapa in Eastern Nepal. As these areas have benefited from the programme, our focus areas have changed to target the most needy. Sunrise Children’s Association’s Kathmandu Kids programmes are now working with villages in the Nuwakot area of Nepal – a poor hill area that was ravaged by the 2015 earthquake. Every single cent that is raised goes directly to Sunrise Children’s Association to fund the Kathmandu Kids programmes.
The money we raise goes towards school admission fees, exam fees, uniforms, shoes, bags, books, stationery, workbooks, community aid, etc.
In July of each year, we begin our fundraising efforts.
If you would like to book a ticket, follow the links from the cocktail night booking website
or on the Donate tab of this website.
Tax deductable status has been granted to SCAI by the Australian Tax Office. Any donations of $5 or more will receive a claimable receipt.
On top of the cause taken on by Kathmandu Kids, Sunrise Childrens Orphanage has many more worthy fundraising needs.
Thank you in advance for your very generous support! We look forward to working together to bring these children a brighter future.